JUST LA LA

JUST LA LA

 

 

 
       
 

 Sunday, June 06, 2004  

Now, I know it feels like ages since i've updated this thing... but boy, has Blogger changed since I was here last. I mean, I feel embarrassed for my old blog cause it must look so... Atari... or Commodore 64... The irony is that Blogger now kindly host your images, and i've only just discovered how to upload and link images to my personal space on Iprimus.

So, anyway, enough on that cause I fear I sound like a right pathetic tool. There is this strange compulsion to frequently update this site in order to highlight some development or progression within ones own life, even when there isn't necessarily any real development or progression. But you can't blame a lad for trying now...

I won't resort to my usual email trick this update. Every once in a while is fine, but I think some of my friends are now afraid to email me too much information for fear that it might resurface in one of my updates. They can rest assured that I do actually remove any trace of who the person I was corresponding with was, and in many cases, i'm sure they probably don't even remember it was them... but I guess I should actually try to write something unique for this site (although it already feels slightly reminiscent of previous posts where I complain about my inability to do regular updates. Deja vu all round really.)

So... let me see... we'll get the basics out the way cause they're the whole 'foundation of my world' and that la la... work; good... home life; great... health; excellent... gym; pathetic... all good.

Now... an insight into the books next to my bed... I still have the same from the last update (I think) with a couple more thrown on that I may never get around to reading... Alain De Botton has a new book out called 'Status Anxiety' and it has been a great read so far. Obviously, being a Capricorn, and having the rather challenging year I did last year, I can appreciate the topic enormously. Capricorns tend to love status. We love feeling admired and respected (although, it is safe to assume most people do). We definitely don't like to think that people would be ashamed of us, and generally strive to win peoples affections over. To be honest, it still kills me that some people I worked with refuse to even acknowledge me anymore, and although I should just let it go (I tend to feel more inclined to wonder what kind of people it shows them to be now), it is something that continues to nag at me. It's a whole other topic in itself but one certainly worth checking out, and I encourage you all to look at his official site here.

I caught up last week with an old friend of mine named Sandy, and he left a rather remarkable impression on me. For the past few years, he has been a NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programmer), which he states is "...the study of human excellence through modelling. It provides you with tools to break down a person’s behaviour through language and neurology and reprogram a person (including self) to create permanent change. Its origins are from behavioural psychology (specifically family therapy) and hypnosis. It has only been around for 20-30 years now and it has many applications from treating depression and disease to business negotiations and sales. In fact most large corporation’s nowadays will only hire NLP trainers to do their training. Anthony Robbins is a Master trainer of NLP so that should give you an idea of what it’s all about."

I came to see the similarities between this and Philosophy, since essentially, Philosophy is utilising concepts via words in order to activate thinking, and therefore trigger different mindsets or states of enlightenment. Or atleast, that is how i've always viewed it. And so i'm rather intrigued by this NLP, and perhaps will find myself looking into it in the not too distant future. As I was saying to Sandy, I feel like what I 'was' last year was ripped away from me. Now, what is left is a lot more open minded to new routes and avenues, and while i've found myself more vulnerable this year, due to the fact that i'm placing myself in situations where I need to learn and challenge what I do know, i'm finding myself open to risks, and feeling the old adage that nothing ventured was truly nothing gained. Sure, I miss what I did, working on music, feeling 'a part of it', and enjoy the status attached to the job. But what i'm doing now tends to feel more substantial and grounded.

Buying for Esprit has been a fantastic experience too. I'm actually really enjoying spending my weekends frolicking through second hand stores and markets with Ant giving me a hand. He has been fantastic with this, putting up with my bizarre attention span and picking up on what kind of things i'm looking for really quickly. In fact, both he and I have been training ourselves on what uniquely Australian releases some collectable artists have. For instance, did you know that The Beatles actually had a couple of albums released here with covers totally unique to this country due to the fact that EMI didn't have the correct artwork ready to go at the time? And most of us know that ABBA had many uniquely Australian picture sleeves for their albums and singles here, but learning all this just makes it seem all the more intriguing. I can't wait for the record fair in a fortnights time, and i'm finding that, as a fringe benefit, i'm spending less cause spending someone elses money is culling my spending urges. Still, if anyone has any items they wish to part with, that are Australian pressings in excellent to mint condition, then drop me a line here.

What else is left...? Music wise, i'm still addicted to Scissor Sisters. It's definitely the album of the year for me so far. I'm finding myself listening to the album religiously, and furthermore, desperately trying to convert all my friends too. We've been flicking between JJJ, Nova and FOX at work lately, so i'm actually feeling a bit more across the mainstream stuff lately, and know that I love The Rasmus, Kylie, The Dissociatives and Kelis, while i've dubbed Sarah Connor's 'Bounce baby out the door' as 'that English Nanny song'.

Best I stop ignoring my boyfriend and actually turn this thing off, or atleast put a DVD on for us both to watch. This really didn't give any indication of life for me lately... moreso just some of the things that seem to interest me lately. I'm sure you wouldn't care about my passion for Berry Bonaza smoothies at Viva Juice, or the fact that Looney Tunes have just released their collection of DVD's locally, or that blank DVD's are remarkably cheap at www.msy.com.au. Or that Citibank do a credit card with 4.9% pa on outstanding amounts you roll over from other credit cards (but still didn't give me enough limit to consolidate them all). Let's say life is about understanding finances and beginning to look at the future all the more seriously lately, which is a bit dull but probably essential.

So, till next time I struggle to think of anything interesting to say, drop me a line, or visit my 'other' site here, which is the companion to my weekly column and music review segments in Bnews/Melbourne Star and JOY FM 94.9.

   { Lol } { Sunday, June 06, 2004 } { }


Comments: Post a Comment

Lol Related Links

Just La La
SOLD On Vanity
Artisan Recruitment

Favourite Links

Blog Templates
Esprit International
Rather Good
Ebay Australia
Happy Hunter

What Lol Listened To This Week
LawrenceOz's Last.fm Weekly Artists Chart

Listed on BlogShares

Description

Life, love and vodka.

Archives

August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 September 2007 October 2007 March 2008

Powered By





 
sponsors
Free Web Counter
insurance leads