JUST LA LA

JUST LA LA

 

 

 
       
 

 Tuesday, November 04, 2003  

Five days with Kylie...

Ok... I promise that not every post from here on in is going to be about my thoughts on 'Body Language'. I mean, there are entire forums that will gladly discuss this daily. But I did say in my last post that I would give the album time to sink in, and then give something of a more detailed evaluation, especially since I feel, rereading the last entry, that I was perhaps not as clear on everything I was trying to say. It is more the fact that a release of a new album by any of my favourite artists is going to be big news to me, considering how highly I hold music. I'd do the same here (and probably will) if it was Depeche Mode, U2, Robbie Williams or any of the many other artists that I feel collectively have some input into the soundtrack of my life, and who I hope continue to over the course of many years.

'Body Language', on the whole, is a rather laid back album. I'm still standing by my description that 'Body Language' comes across like the love child of KM94 and 'Fever'. It has that 'lightness' of KM94 (think 'Surrender') mixed with the electro-pop of 'Fever'. There is definitely a triangle between the three musically, while still holding their own individual sound.

I still think 'Chocolate' is one of the sexiest things Kylie has ever done. It has a very 70's vibe about the track - gorgeously multi-layered vocals, and the middle eight and chorus of the track just take the track exactly where it needs to go. I can actually imagine some funky, laid back deep house remixes revolving around the chorus. And definitely on first listen of the album, without trying to build the track up to unrealistic expectations, it does stand out.

'I Feel For You' is another standout moment, and one of the more upbeat moments on the album, and it certainly rides along on an awkwardly cute beat. There is a bit of everything thrown into this track, from pseudo honky-tonk piano in the chorus through to vocal sound samples that slice through the mix. Lyrically, perhaps not one of the strongest songs ('I Feel For You/I could go on and on and on...'), but certainly the atmosphere of the song encourages some flirtatious partying.

'Still Standing', it seems, is a cover... in a similar vein to the whole 'On a Night Like This' on the last album... although this time, only one person has previously done a version of the song. Still, any track performed by Kylie is going to get massive exposure (especially to the European market), and let's face it - what songwriter wouldn't, in their right mind, want that? The track seems to have a very empowered theme, one which i've noticed reoccuring throughout the album, and is one of the more 'electropop' tracks on the album.

I have to say how much i've grown to love 'Sweet Music', and i'm surprised that it has been used also as a b-side. But then, considering how much I loved 'Limbo' and it's eventual placement on 'Impossible Princess', I can see the wisdom in including some form of album taster on the lead single. Speaking of the singles, I have to say that i'm disappointed that the Chemical Brothers Mix wasn't included on the singles. I've managed to hear a copy thanks to the exclusive play on Radio 1 recently, and think it is the most brilliant remix i've heard of Kylie since Fischerspooner tinkered 'Come Into My World' into electro-clash perfection.

'Body Language' has grown on me. I'm only slightly disappointed by a couple of tracks, namely ''After Dark' and the bonus limited track 'Slo Motion' (it ain't no 'Tightrope, that's for sure!), but this might be more because I haven't noticed their subtle appeal yet (although the bassline on 'After Dark' has enormous potential in remixes). I'll admit I was surprised by the Kurtis Mantronix produced tracks. I guess I was hoping for blood brothers to 'How Did You Know?', but now that the initial disappointment of discovering that they're far distant cousins has been pushed aside, i'm enjoying the tracks for just what they are. 'Obsession', of the two, stands out... and strangely, along with 'Chocolate' and 'Loving Days', feel it could have single potential... or atleast I could imagine radio play and a kick arse clip... although four midtempo tracks in a row may not go down as well with fans... ok, maybe 'Secret (Take You Home)' might be fun for a single too (although i'm not sure about the rap).

Nutshell of recent events (especially since I got accused of putting too little of myself in the last update by a few people... but you know... I 'am' dictacted by my circumstances and situations at the time)... went out on Saturday night for Jimmy's birthday. Started off the night at his place for a few social drinks, and then went to this fantastic small bar down on Southbank (I think it was called something like 'Ulumba'?) From there, we inevitably ended up at The Market, and had a fantastic night, spending the majority of it on the dancefloor. I noticed that they're doing a late night performance there using the Project K Mix of 'Slow', which sounds surprisingly good over the sound system. I'm sure Project K would be very happy!

Sunday was one of the most chilled and relaxed days i've had in a while. Ant, Andrew and I just spent all day watching films, making hamburgers and ended the day with a generous serving of fish and chips. We did nothing. Zip. Just layed around, enjoying each others company, and it was probably one of the best 'chill out' days i've had in a while.

Monday was fairly awful. We were a handful of people down at work, and it seemed that Murphies Law was destined to rule this day. Anything that could go wrong generally did, and I spent most of the day trying to rectify things, which meant not getting around to doing my job as I would normally. I didn't end up leaving till around 6pm, as I have a rule about ensuring I don't leave work until I feel right that everything can 'exist' fine until I get back (even if it means rerouting activity for the day elsewhere)... so fingers crossed that all will be fine until I return tomorrow morning. I guess ultimately, there is only so much you can control and whatever hurdles you face, a calm and rational mind will always work its way towards an appropriate outcome.

I discovered recently, to my surprise, that EzyDVD has actually become part of the Sanity group. Now, not that I have any major beef with Sanity, but I tend to wish to throw my support towards more worthy and developing companies. One I would like to point out is Total DVD, who i've recently come across and found to be truly fabulous... so check them out... you know you want to...

Ended up at the Prince Of Wales last night for a good, old fashioned, $1 pots (although they're not a dollar anymore) with Andrew, Ant, Micheal, and Michael and Jimmy. Angie was there also (the little Karen Walker minx!), and a friend of hers named Kimmy, who had heard of me several times before and, for some reason, thought I was black. Considering i'm probably one of the most 'white' people I know, I find that highly amusing. I'm so white, i'm verging on blue... I dread to think of how much beer we actually went through last night, especially considering I HATE beer, but current budgets and all meant that when in Rome... It was fun with the programmable jukebox though, and i'm more than chuffed that my selections (including good measures of Kylie, Dolly, Blondie and Whitney) always received a loud roar of approval and much sing-a-long action. We all raced down to Topo's after for pizza (hmm... Mexican spicy!) and then back home.

Today... well... much chilling out again. I've never really been fond of horse racing... or any sport, much for that matter. But i'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth by any means, and so I'll glad welcome some time off. The postman arrived before (Australia Post on a public holiday?) and dropped off copies of the new Erasure and Depeche Mode DVD's, which i'm going to sit down and devour shortly (expect postings on them next)... and I hope to get through some reviews today to help free up my weekend for when DJ Kinky/Seb arrives.

Till next post... keep reading my body language... ;p

   { Lol } { Tuesday, November 04, 2003 } { }


Comments: Post a Comment

Lol Related Links

Just La La
SOLD On Vanity
Artisan Recruitment

Favourite Links

Blog Templates
Esprit International
Rather Good
Ebay Australia
Happy Hunter

What Lol Listened To This Week
LawrenceOz's Last.fm Weekly Artists Chart

Listed on BlogShares

Description

Life, love and vodka.

Archives

August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 September 2007 October 2007 March 2008

Powered By





 
sponsors
Free Web Counter
insurance leads