JUST LA LA

JUST LA LA

 

 

 
       
 

 Saturday, October 04, 2003  

Entries from emails part 6...

Entry #1
Context: Meeting friends online.


...When I was at FMR, it was one of my responsibilities to update their website, and to receive all the emails that were sent through. As a result, I ended up getting in contact with a vast array of interesting people. One of them was this delightful artist in Paris named Alexandre, and we ended up becoming good friends online... which i'm glad to say was solidified when I went to Paris and stayed with him in 2001. Same thing with David/Margeaux... I had received an email from him attentioned to Kylie/TBM alerting them of his website, Planet Margeaux. I checked out the site, and thought it was one of the most funniest brilliant things I had seen in a while, and sent him an email back telling him how much I loved it and how I was definitely going to forward it onto her management. We hit it off on email, and agreed that we should have a drink when I was in Sydney. On the final night of the On a Night Like This Tour, we met before the show, and again afterwards at Stonewall (between me jumping from Stonewall party to official after party). It would be the start of a really close friendship, and i'm thankful for that connection. So, yeah - I do know what you mean. I have another great friend that i've made in the US named Geordan, and I would dearly love to meet him... and there are a few more local lads, like Discowboy (DJ Kinky/Seb) in Perth who I am dying to meet, although he is heading over to Melbourne in November so I guess I know that one is for certain. In short, I guess I can say that modern technology has brought many people into my life either virtually or eventually for real that i'm incredibly thankful for (and some that I wasn't so thankful for! lol!)

Entry #2
Context: My life as a... actor?


Actually, I wanted to be an actor when I was a child and even went so far as to attending acting school. However, when I hit my teens, I also hit a enormous wall of self loathing and decided, in my own twisted and dramatic little way, that I was not attractive enough to be an actor. ...yes, I know... there is no logic there as acting has about as much relation to attractiveness as music has to Sophie Ellis Baxter... but that was something that took my interests away from acting and installed it in... *gasp* music!, of which I have made a living out of for over the past decade, either as a musician and performer or on the other side of the desk, doing pr and marketing. I'm about to re-enter the music industry after my departure from it in July this year, and move into an area that i've yet to do before for a company - sales... I've worked in retail before and I guess there wouldn't be terribly much difference except it's all the other way around, but I am looking forward to making a re-entrance into the industry that I consider my home and moving on from there.

Entry #3
Context: Being creative.


I lost my creative being for a while. It has only just started to return. It was lost from exhaustion at marketing too many other creative beings. But I think a voice is beginning to return to me and I try to find creative ways of doing even the most simple things... like writing an email back to a friend! ;p Sometimes it works... sometimes it doesn't.

Entry #4
Context: Just how much do you put in a blog?


Some times the best time to keep a blog IS when you are having some inner turmoil. After all, people find comfort in viewing other peoples insecurities and thoughts... reminds them that we're all human and that we all feel the same thing. I find whenever I wrote anything a little more emotional and angsty in my blog, the next few days would be filled with friends just calling to see if I was ok, if they could do anything, and reminding me that they're there... it's not a sign of weakness to contemplate and discuss the things that occupy our minds, so I don't think you should see it as something to hinder your creative process. However, having said that, I guess it all comes down to how private you want it to be. I don't care anymore. I like being an open book. It's like a terms and conditions on a contract. No one can never claim they weren't informed when you're an open book! lol!

Entry #5
Context: Being liked by everybody.


I guess i've come to appreciate in recent years that sometimes some people just don't 'hit it off'. I used to be one of those people that would go out of my way to make people like me if I knew they didn't. Nowadays, it's more of a 'can't be everything to everyone' kind of person, and just figure that there is little point in trying.

Entry #6
Context: Making friends online and are they real friends?


There is a stigma attached to it, isn't there... which is funny... i've met some people online who became such good friends that it seemed strange to chat to them online anymore... I guess my point is that it is possible to make real and strong relationships online that can translate into the real world, although sometimes I feel that what people can offer online may not translate as well offline... either way, if something someone does makes you think, or question, or laugh, or get an emotional responce, then it is an experience worth having, and a real one.

Entry #7
Context: How straight men should be and why gay men hang around together (apart from the obvious reasons).


Ahh, should be more straight men like you. Want to know something funny. Someone once asked me why it was that gay men hung around together all the time. I told them I thought it was because gay men didn't sit around necessarily talking about what it was like to be gay all the time. They might talk about attractive men or camp music, but it wasn't trying to explain or rationalise why they were gay, and inevitably, with straight men, I ALWAYS find myself in that conversation and it gets a bit tiresome after a while... so to answer the question - why do gay men hang around with gay men? cause they don't necessarily sit around talking about being gay. And I like straight men that can act on that same level - that can recognize the common humanity that exists regardless of sexual preference and just be themselves. It makes me feel less cautious about how I talk too... I can actually just be myself and say what I think rather than be paranoid about if I am going to offend or scare off or disgust anyone.

Entry #8
Context: Feeling the need to become musical again...


I actually pulled out all the ACID loop disks I have at home last night and decided that I really need to start playing around again since it has been YEARS and I feel the need to be creative again. But it really does mean starting from scratch. I feel like, if I was to try to write a tune now, it would perhaps rival Twinkle Twinkle or Mary and her freakin' lamb, but not much greater. But if you don't start somewhere (again), you never end up somewhere better (again).

Entry #9
Context: Dinner at Andrew's place last night...


I'm having dinner with a few friends tonight over at a friends place. He actually lives in an old lunatic asylum in inner Melbourne. It was actually the largest lunatic asylum in the southern hemisphere at one stage and the place basically freaks me out most of the time. It's beautiful and stylish now, but I don't doubt that it is haunted to every corner.

Entry #10
Context: Amiel gig at The Evelyn last Thursday night...


I have to say that last night was magnificant. She is sounding, and looking, fantastic at the moment and the band exceeded my own expectation of how they were going to perform. It was even a notable improvement on the dats that I got sent from the Leading Edge performance.

   { Lol } { Saturday, October 04, 2003 } { }


Comments: Post a Comment

Lol Related Links

Just La La
SOLD On Vanity
Artisan Recruitment

Favourite Links

Blog Templates
Esprit International
Rather Good
Ebay Australia
Happy Hunter

What Lol Listened To This Week
LawrenceOz's Last.fm Weekly Artists Chart

Listed on BlogShares

Description

Life, love and vodka.

Archives

August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 September 2007 October 2007 March 2008

Powered By





 
sponsors
Free Web Counter
insurance leads