JUST LA LA

JUST LA LA

 

 

 
       
 

 Wednesday, September 10, 2003  

Ten entries from emails part 2

Entry #1
Context: Stressing over the little things


Seems to be a fair amount of knobheads on the phone. I can't believe how cynical I am becoming again already from dealing with the general public. The problem is this - working in a record company, if anyone was being rude, you told them that they were rude and let them have it back. Here, the customer is always right. They can be as rude as they want and you generally have to grit your teeth and just be politely firm. That annoys me. Knobheads should be told when they're being knobheads or else they will continue to show a lack of respect towards others. Some people may be doing it unintentionally, and that's fine cause that happens... but others are just outright rude people who only make me wonder why they have so much unnecessary stress and anger in their life. Is their world SO bad that they need to take aggressive stances against someone they've never met and don't know on the other end of the phone? Some of them truly need to get a bit of perspective on what is and isn't important in the scheme of things. I don't want to play the old 'there are kids out there that don't have a home' routine, cause it is becoming a cliche although it's true... but realistically, if the biggest problem they're facing today is that their internet keeps cutting out every couple of minutes for the first time since they've owned it, they should be freakin' grateful. I just had a woman phone me to complain because *gasp* we had disconnected her after her account expired! I mean, how dare we! She wanted to know why we hadn't given her a week like we used to. I explained that they have an additional day post the expiry date to pay. She explained that she was on a pension and that just didn't work for her, before sighing and saying "I guess i'll just have to place it on my credit card then..." As I said... knobheads... but I don't want to sound cynical. But some people SHOULD NOT be allowed to breed.

Entry #2
Context: A friend admits he spent 12 months as a podium dancer.


I have an aversion to attention in that way. Infact, the most common place you'll find me on the dancefloor is on the outskirts, near the air conditioning (I mean, why look sweaty when you can just look funky?) The only exception is at The Market where, on selected nights, the stage rides up and down and generally gets crowded with people wanting to go for 'a ride'... we'll race over to the 'surely unsafe' thing, jump on and dance away... but again, i'll be at the back of the stage cause i'm going for the ride and not for the attention... yay! love that stage!

Entry #3
Context: what stresses me now.


I must admit, i'm feeling like I look crap at the moment. Too many late nights... too much unnecessary stress... too much stress about how little stress I feel... too many concerns about where my 'career' is going (or not going) now. Atleast my home life is sorted again, with a new housemate moving in this weekend. I'm actually excited by the prospect because he seems to be a really cool guy and 'gets' my humour immediately. Now I just need to sort out where i'm going career wise, and frankly, that is the more difficult of decisions at the moment.

Entry #4
Context: Madonna, Britney and Christina's performance at VMA's


I only just got to watch it on Monday night, and while it reeked of 'look at me, look at meeee, kimmie!'... it still was a fun performance. Although I couldn't help feel that half of the room was enjoying it and the other half a room was laughing at it. The look on Snoop Doggy Dog's face was rather interesting, and the facial expressions Justin was throwing screamed of 'issues'. Speaking of 'issues' - what brand DVD player did you get?

Entry #5
Context: Downloading off the net


It's not so much the sharing of older pre-existing stuff that is the concern, although obviously catalogue dollars do aid the company. It's the kids downloading the new acts that is the big issue. They download and don't support the artist... the artist never remakes their money... neither does the record company, who has spent a fortune trying to get them up and running... and it just all falls apart. Go to any web forum - they don't recommend to each other to go and buy something or order it online, they recommend to 'go and download it'... it's seen as the acceptable norm and trying to explain to them why it is wrong is greeted with the old 'but record companies are greedy' excuse. It's just so convenient for them...

Entry #6
Context: Record companies being behind with technology advancements.


It is only through the pig headed narrow minded pride of US record company execs that Napster wasn't given the right to become a fully fledged fully functional working digital distribution model that it could've become. By 'killing' napster, they've only made it more difficult to contain the digital p2p outbreak as it just continues to spread. They had something that was popular, easy to use and everyone was using it. If they had gone to bed with Napster, it would've been raking in a profit now... but the idiots had to try to stop it instead, forever resisting forward movement. Can you tell I don't go for them?

Entry #7
Context: Literature


The other good thing of late is that i've seemingly taken to so much more reading. I used to be a big reader anyway, hardly surprising considering I studied literature at high school and uni. But during the 90's, I can't honestly say that I ever seemed to find terribly much time to read. However, i'm reading about five books at the moment and enjoying taking a bit of time to go to bed and get into a book of late. Besides that, it always provides an additional conversation point at dinner parties and things like that... I mean, what can sound more cultured and conversation provoking than breaking out into a discussion on various concepts of philosophy (ok... perhaps I may be the only one to actually find that interesting but I still maintain that more people should take an active interest in the art of thinking).

Entry #8
Context: My thoughts on relationships.


Relationships... well, let me put it this way. I was recently chatting online when someone asked me what I was looking for. I replied that I wasn't looking for anything, I was just going with the flow. I'm in no rush to settle down, but at the same time, i'm not going to turn away someone if they happen to pop up into my life. I am a fairly typical Capricorn, and so we tend to be fiercely independent and overly cautious. They always say that Capricorns generally need people to earn their trust, but once they're in the 'inner sanctum', so to speak, they remain there and gain a loyal friend out of the Capricorn. This tends to reflect my relationships too... the last guy I was seeing started to say rather full on things to me after just two weeks, and while I appreciated it, it honestly did freak me out a little as I felt it was WAY too soon. As I say, I just go with the flow and if my intuition tells me it's right, I go with that.

Entry #9
Context: Why blog?


On this thing, this is meant to be about sharing and exposing what makes your mind tick... what currently interests you... or disgusts you... or what is essentially YOU... which is why the whole blog phenomena currently interests me because it is all about people letting others know some of the things that they might not normally say otherwise. That's an exciting concept to me. It's also shamelessly self indulgent but you can cover it all up by saying that you're creating social commentaries.

Entry #10
Context: A friend comments on how shocked he is about how much he wrote for his first blog.


It shouldn't scare you with how easy it is for everything to come out. I'm constantly encouraging people to just write, for no other reason other than to see what comes out of their mind. And they often experience the same thing, shocked at how much is actually in there wanting to come out. That's the secret to writing really... just finding a topic and then letting your mind speak it's thoughts... and then 'writers' tend to just go over it again and again, focusing the piece and making it tighter, but essentially, I believe everyone has the ability to be an articulate writer (how Neitzsche of me...)

   { Lol } { Wednesday, September 10, 2003 } { }


Comments: Post a Comment

Lol Related Links

Just La La
SOLD On Vanity
Artisan Recruitment

Favourite Links

Blog Templates
Esprit International
Rather Good
Ebay Australia
Happy Hunter

What Lol Listened To This Week
LawrenceOz's Last.fm Weekly Artists Chart

Listed on BlogShares

Description

Life, love and vodka.

Archives

August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 September 2007 October 2007 March 2008

Powered By





 
sponsors
Free Web Counter
insurance leads